Monthly Archives: December 2013

What do you need to immigrate to Australia?

What do you need to immigrate to Australia?

Immigrating to any country is a major decision involving a lot of research and preparation. Applicants need to meet several criteria covering work area and experience, financial background, and more. Australia, a popular immigration choice, pays particular attention to how an applicant’s education and skills address the economy’s requirements.


So, if you’re thinking of moving to Australia, here’s what you need to figure out first:


Type of visa
Australia follows a points-based system where an applicant has to score a certain pass mark to be eligible to apply for a visa. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection frequently updates its list of skills that qualify an applicant for a visa. Before beginning with the paper work, you need to assess your skills objectively and identify the visa you intend to apply for:

  • Sponsored visa
  • Professional and skilled visa
  • Business visa
  • Doctors and nurses visa
  • Investor Retirement visa
  • Working holiday visa


If you plan to work in Australia, you should be below the age of 50; your score will vary according to your age. Also, you should score a minimum of 6 in each of the four components of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). However, UK citizens are not required to meet the language threshold of the test.


Supporting documents

You will need to file an Expression of Interest (EOI) after which the Department of Immigration invites you to file an application, which should be done within 60 days, along with the documents supporting the claims made in EOI. Once the visa has been applied for, all the applicants need to pass a medical examination and provide the authorities with a police certificate from the country/countries they have lived in last 12 months.


You will need to show that you have sufficient funds (depending on the type of visa — working holiday visa AUD 5000 is considered sufficient) and also carry a return ticket or additional funds for an onward ticket to depart Australia. You’ll need to substantiate your application with bank statements and credit card statements to convince the immigration department of your financial status.


Our experts at Migrate Me can provide you with assistance in finding a suitable job and filing your Australia visa application. Get a free visa assessment now!


How easy is it to migrate to Australia

How easy is it to migrate to Australia? Migrating to any country can be a tough decision to arrive at as it involves complex paper work and financial arrangements. Australia, being one of the most popular choices, welcomes migrants with the right combination of skill and experience. To make things easier for potential migrants and to shorten processing time, Australia uses a points-based system where applicants earn points based on certain parameters. These parameters, which vary according to the type of visa applied for, are:


Education: While applying for a skilled independent visa, the applicant should have a degree / diploma / trade qualification awarded by an Australian educational institute or a degree awarded by an overseas educational institution of a recognised standard. Recent engineering graduates of eligible universities can apply for a skilled-graduate visa and gain 18 months of work experience in occupation.


Skills: To apply for a general skilled migration visa, your skills should be listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), which is frequently updated. The SOL lists eligible occupations and the number of points awarded to each.


Experience: In the last 10 years, an applicant should have at least one year of experience in Australia or at least three years of overseas experience in the nominated skills.


Age: For most types of visas, applicants need to be above 18 years of age and below 50 years. The points awarded vary based on age.


Health requirements: You must meet certain health requirements depending on the visa you apply for. You must be free from diseases such as Tuberculosis, HIV and hepatitis, and Yellow Fever. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months. This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.

For more information about the types of visa and their parameters please visit Australian Department


To simplify the process for applicants, Australian Immigration has developed a single-point entry, ImmiAccount, whereby you can file a new visa application from the list provided or even use a visa finder. Through ImmiAccount, an applicant or their representative can pay the application charges, attach and file documents required to prove the claims made in the application and also track the application status.


Migrate Me experts can make migration easier by assisting you with finding a suitable job and filing your Australia visa application. Get a FREE visa assessment now!


What do you need to immigrate to Canada

Immigrating to any country requires applicants to meet certain criteria based on the social and economic needs of that particular country. These criteria can cover work experience and industry, educational qualifications, family status and financial situation among others.


Canada, one of the most popular immigration destinations, too has its own guidelines that have been drawn up to ensure that only genuine applicants are granted entry.


So, if you’re planning to move to Canada to live and work, here’s a quick list of a few things you will need:



You first need to determine what type of visa you are eligible for. You could apply for any one of these visa programmes based on your field of work:


  • Federal Skilled Workers Programme (FSWP)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Programme (FSTP)
  • Quebec-selected Skilled Workers
  • Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed
  • Live-in caregivers


You will need to make sure that your qualifications and work credentials meet the standards required in Canada. The requirements here too differ for different visa categories. For instance, under the FSWP, you will need to get an Educational Credential Assessment to certify that your qualifications are genuine and equivalent to a Canadian qualification. However, an ECA is not needed for a FSTP visa.


For more on the credentials assessment process, visit:




Before you apply, you need to organise your finances so that you are able to support yourself (and your family) once to move there.

You will need to provide proof to convince the Canadian immigration authorities that you can sustain yourself for a certain amount of time after entry into the country given the cost of living. You can learn more about sales tax here:

 and household expenses here:


There are several other parameters that your visa application will be evaluated upon and you can choose to appoint a representative for the assist you with the process.


For assistance with documentation, jobs and other immigration details, our experts at Migrate Me can help. You can also avail of a free assessment.

Image courtesy: