How to move to Australia for a year

How to move to Australia for a year


Think you might enjoy life Down Under?


How about trying it out for a year? Australia’s working holiday visa (subclass 417) allows just that.


This visa encourages young adults from different countries to holiday in Australia while engaging in temporary work. The working holiday visa allows UK citizens in the age group of 18 to 30 years to have an extended holiday and work to fund that holiday. Travel should be the primary intention for the visa applicant and a job should be only to fund that trip.


Visa holders are allowed a stay of no more than 12 months and applicants will need to show that they have enough funds (generally around AUD5,000) to support yourself when you arrive in the country.


Also, the applicant cannot travel with dependent children. The immigration authorities could ask you to provide documents supporting these claims.


Apart from this the applicant also needs to book a return ticket or have additional funds available in the bank to book a return journey.


This visa allows:

• Stay in the country for a period of 12 months

• Temporarily work with one employer maximum for a period of six months

• Study for a period of four months

• Leave and enter the country till the visa is valid


Australia also allows first-time working holiday visa applicants who were employed in certain fields or designated rural areas to apply for a second working visa.

According to the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection, the number of holiday visas issued in 2012-13 was 210,369 with the maximum number of backpackers being from the UK.


For more on working holiday visas, visit:


Migrate Me experts can help you with your paperwork and application for Working Holiday visas to Australia, Canada and other countries. Sign up for a free assessment here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



6 + five =